top of page

Student Visa

A student visa is a type of non-immigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to study in the United States at accredited educational institutions. The most common types of student visas for the U.S. are the F-1 visa and the M-1 visa. Here's an overview of the F-1 visa, which is the most widely used student visa category:

F-1 Visa:

  • Overview: The F-1 visa is for academic students who want to study at accredited colleges, universities, high schools, language training programs, or other academic institutions in the United States.

  • Eligibility:

    • You must have been accepted by a U.S. institution that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

    • You must demonstrate that you have sufficient financial resources to cover your tuition, living expenses, and other related costs during your stay in the U.S.

  • Application Process:

    1. Secure Admission: Apply and get accepted to a U.S. school that is SEVP-certified.

    2. Pay the SEVIS Fee: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee must be paid before you can apply for a visa.

    3. Complete the DS-160 Form: Fill out the DS-160 form online and receive a confirmation receipt.

    4. Pay Visa Application Fee: Pay the non-refundable visa application fee.

    5. Schedule an Interview: Schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for a visa interview.

    6. Attend Visa Interview: Attend the visa interview with the required documents, which may include your passport, DS-160 confirmation receipt, visa application fee receipt, SEVIS fee receipt, and a letter of acceptance from your U.S. institution.

    7. Visa Decision: The consular officer will make a decision on your visa application. If approved, they will attach the visa to your passport.

  • Duration: F-1 visas are typically granted for the duration of your academic program plus an additional period for practical training (Optional Practical Training or OPT) if applicable.

  • Work Authorization: F-1 visa holders may be eligible for limited on-campus employment and off-campus employment through OPT and Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

It's important to note that the process and requirements may vary slightly depending on the U.S. embassy or consulate you apply to, so it's advisable to check their specific instructions and guidelines.

Additionally, maintaining your F-1 status is crucial. This includes attending classes regularly, complying with visa regulations, and seeking proper extensions or transfers if your academic circumstances change. Violating the terms of your visa can lead to deportation or future visa denials.

Before applying for a student visa, it's highly recommended to contact the designated school official (DSO) at your U.S. institution for guidance and support throughout the process. Consulting with an immigration attorney can also be helpful if you encounter any complications during the application process.

The-Kuba-Law-Firm-PC (Primary).png




321 Broadway

New York, NY 10007

Tel : 212.732.5050 / Fax : 212.766.0049


L.S. Plaza 230, W. Route 59

Spring Valley,NY 10977

Tel : 845.356.1313


825 Veterans Memorial Hwy

Hauppauge, NY 11788

Tel : 631.581.9494

bottom of page